Emergi is a renewable energy technology start-up (BV) based in the Netherlands, operating in West Africa. Emergi’s mission is to create social impact by developing sustainable energy products for emerging markets. Emergi is currently developing a modular, multipurpose, electric vehicle for transport of goods and people and for agricultural activities. Sustainable, reliable and affordable transport can have an incredible impact on people’s livelihoods in emerging markets.
During the next phase of this initiative, Emergi will assess the alternatives currently available, including tuktuks and small urban and agricultural vehicles. Additionally, Emergi will identify and assess functionality, strengths and weaknesses, legal constraints, and costs involved in producing an electric modular vehicle. This will take place through site visits & observations, individual and group interviews with potential customers and organizing stakeholders meetings. This field work will all take place in Liberia, West Africa.
For this assignment, Emergi is seeking an Industrial Design graduate degree candidate to intern as part of our design team. The internship is based in the Netherlands, but will include site visits in Liberia where the pilot is conducted. This intern will also lead a hackathon / design competition with local designers based on the findings highlighted above.
The Intern must have excellent communication skills and a practical, proactive mindset. As part of our international team, the Intern will be supported and supervised by Emergi’s chief engineer.
Main tasks & responsibilities of the intern:
- Develop a basic understanding of the technology required
- Develop concept designs based on data and observations previously acquired
- Take ownership of the technical development, and advises our “commercial” strategy based on her/his technical expertise/experience
- Add features to the design to improve user experience in the target environment
- Can develop the initial requirements into feasible and affordable prototypes
- Can take the lead and participate in the hackathon and design competition organized locally
- Interact with the team, and third parties like suppliers of parts, workshops etc.
Requirements and assets:
- Excellent product design skills and ability to think pragmatically
- Basic knowledge of electric drive trains, vehicles and transport
- Interest in Africa and products for that context
- Has experience in early stage projects
- Is comfortable with working in environments with high levels of uncertainty
- Good to excellent oral and written English language skills
- Good communication and social skills, and ability to work in a multicultural setting
- Ability to work independently
- Available for at least 2 months, preferable start date as soon as possible
- Currently enrolled in a University or college in the Netherlands
- Internship contract
- International working environment; visit to Africa
- A practical internship experience where you can have a real impact on product design and the end user experience
- An internship where you can make a difference. We need your ideas!
If you are interested, please send your letter of motivation and CV before 10 September 2018 to Emergi – Karen Blanken / firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference: Application intern / graduate Emergi ID.)
If you have any questions please contact Karen Blanken on above email or +31653229325.